Canadian Experience Class Immigration Program

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is an immigration category for Canada's temporary foreign workers who wish to become Permanent Residents.

Temporary foreign workers are ideal candidates for Canadian immigration (Permanent Residency). Having obtained Canadian work experience, these individuals have already settled into Canadian society and have established important networks in their communities and their careers.

Canadian Experience Class applications are processed through the Express Entry selection system for immigration to Canada. Eligible candidates must make an expression of interest in immigrating to Canada, create an online Express Entry profile, and receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence before they may make an application.

CEC requirements

Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements. They must have:

Cap limits and exempt occupations

A maximum of 8,000 applications will be accepted for assessement under Canadian Experience Class. Any skilled occupation is eligible*, however for NOC B level occupations a maximum of 200 applications will be accepted per occupation.

Work experience in the following categories may no longer be counted for work experience under the CEC:

Applicants can remain in Canada throughout the application process. However, the Canadian Experience Class is also open to individuals who are no longer in Canada, provided that they submit their application within two years of leaving their job in Canada.

The Canadian Experience Class requirements are based on a pass or fail model. If the minimum requirements are met, the applicant is eligible to apply to this program. Note: The pass/fail model may no longer be in place once the Express Entry immigration selection system comes into operation

A Popular Option for International Students

For many international graduates, the Canadian Experience Class offers the fastest and most simple path to achieving Permanent Residency.

After completing a program or course of study at a Canadian educational institution, many international graduates are able to remain in the country on post-graduate work permits. If, during this time, a graduate obtains at least one year of work in a skilled, professional or technical field, they may then become eligible to apply under the Canadian Experience Class.

Additional Options for Foreign Workers

If you are considering the Canadian Experience Class because youqualify as a temporary foreign worker, you may have other options for Canadian immigration through the various Provincial Nomination Programs (PNP).


Quick Enquiry


Try Another Question